We’re excited to partner with our sponsor Benzie Design to share this felt pin cushion tutorial with you.
Make A Cool Pin Cushion For Your Sewing Projects
We are Andrea & Paola, the creative sister duo from Dapper Animals, and we collect adorable pin cushions. You can never have enough pin cushions because they decorate your crafting room while keeping you safe from sharp needles and pins. Today, we are showing you how to make a felt pin cushion in the shape of an ice cream cone. The soft serve is made of felt and stuffed with polyfil. Follow along and make your own pin cushion!
Skill Level: Advanced (Thus tutorial requires sewing with a curved needle)
- Dapper Animals Felt Ice Cream Pin Cushion Pattern
- Peony Wool Blend Felt (light pink)
- Yellow Wool Blend Felt
- Brown Wool Blend Felt
Ice Cream Cone Pin Cushion Instructions
- Download the Ice Cream Cone Pattern PDF
Download the FREE PDF Template!
Download the FREE Ice Cream Pin Cushion PDF template and receive our latest tutorials and product news!
2. Print the Dapper Animals Ice Cream Cone Pattern and cut out all the pieces. Trace pieces on to the appropriate felt color labeled in the pattern. Cut felt pieces.
3. Trace the Ice Cream cup pieces on a piece of cardboard and cut them. We used a recycled USPS Priority Mail box.
4. Trace the inner circle on top of the outer circle as shown above.
5. Cut slits along the outer circle reaching until the line of the inner circle – as shown above.
6. Bend and curve both pieces of cardboard to match the image above.
7. Using your glue gun, glue the bottom of the cup to the short end of the cup as shown above.
8. Once you glued the bottom of the cup along the entire edge of the cup there will be an overlap flap on the side of the cup. Using your glue gun, glue the flap to the side of the cup as shown above.
9. Cut the yellow felt using felt scissors and the PDF pattern.
10. Fold and pin the yellow fabric one inch from the top. Then sew it about 1/16″ from the edge or as close as you can get to the edge. You can use a sewing machine or sew it by hand.
11. Add stitching accents to the ice cream cone by sewing diagonal lines and then add some more lines in the reverse to create a diamond pattern on the bottom half of the ice cream cone.
12. Using your glue gun, attach the yellow felt to the cardboard cup by aligning it to the bottom of the cup. You will have excess felt on the top of the cup.
13. Fold the felt over the edge of the cup and glue it to the inside using your glue gun.
14. Attach the three pink pieces of felt as show in the PDF pattern.
15. With the sewn ridges on the outside. Fold the pink felt piece longways and pin the edges together. Sew the edges together, but make sure to leave the last 3 inches unsewn at the tip.
IMPORTANT: Make sure to not sew the tip closed.
16. Turn the pink felt piece inside out to leave the sewn ridges on the inside.
17. Now that the fabric is turned with the stitching on the inside, you can close the tip of the soft serve.
18. Fill the pink felt soft serve using Polyester Fiberfill.
19. Sew the other end of the soft serve closed.
20. Curve the pink felt soft serve into shape. Using the curved needle and thread, sew the inner wrinkles together. Sewing the wrinkles will make the soft serve keep its ice cream shape.
21. Once you finished shaping your entire piece of pink felt, place it inside your felt cup and you’re done! You made an ice cream pin cushion. Add your favorite kind of pins.